Saturday 3 May 2008

Simon Doonan Book Launch at Selfridge's


Simon Doonan, the hilarious New York Observer columnist and Creative Director of Barneys, launched his book, Beautiful People, at Selfridges on Friday. I ran there from college in the 4 inch heels I was breaking in. I wrote about this for A Shaded View On Fashion as well and my Dad has apparently seen the post, as he's just text to say he wishes I'd associate with people of substance. Hmm...are stylish people inherently insubstantial?The text debate continues.


Anyway, Beautiful People is about the first 25 years of Doonan's rise from Reading schoolboy to New York fashion dandy. He is very sweet in person and signed my copy 'For Rachel 'heart' Simon', like we were bestest girlfriends. Aw,love it! When he writes, though, he is sharp as a tack in an 'if you can't say anything nice, come sit by me' kind of way. You want to be his best friend, if only because it might keep you out of his line of fire.


Autobiographies are the best form of escapism (to read, of course, to write them is probably just super-painful catharsis). Roy Keane's is the funniest I've ever read, which I never thought I'd say of anything football related.



No comments: